Friday, May 15, 2015

Big News... Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

Annihilate an evil penguin regime in this cinematic platform adventure game offering full solo and co-op campaigns. Set out on a mission to assassinate the totalitarian penguin leader as Hardboiled Chicken. Destroy enemies with a slew of weapons and illuminate the secrets to his past while uncovering the real enemies of Albatropolis. Master fowl play in the co-op campaign as a pair of Budgie commandos on a mission to save the general's daughter. Many lives will be destroyed, countless penguins will die!
On or off, but nothing in between, I prefer to think in steps. Program me, reload my systems, the review comes next.

Gameplay
Rocketbirds is a semi-solid title.  It opens up immediately with, what is essentially, a music video, and then drops you right in. It gives an unobtrusive tutorial that guides  you throughout new weapons and techniques to help you learn how to play. The game took me about 4 hours to complete, but that wasn't 100%. There are signs for you to get that don't seem to do anything other than unlock achievements, and some are pretty difficult to get.

They have a TV show about you killing them. Why?
The game itself is a platformer in a loose sense, with a little bit of tactics to it. You will utilize the environment to help stay alive in several fire fights.  The game also has some comedy to it, though the one liners tend to make me groan more than anything.
This explains so much.
Music
I'll say it outright. I love the soundtrack to this game. I just love listening to every piece and seeing how it was worked into the game. It couldn't have had much of a better soundtrack to it.

Bugs
There were several issues I've had with this game. First, my gamepad barely works with it. For instance, it worked on the menu, but when I went to the game itself, it said to plug in an XBOX compatible controller. I managed to get it to work one time, but that is it. The game also has random moments of lag when you die, which actually turned out useful later in the game as I used it to take down large groups of enemies before they could fire on me.

Overall, Rocketbirds is a fun game, but it's far from perfect. The game gets repetitive early on, and while it is essentially James Bond in chicken form, it's basically a gimmick. The main redeeming factor for Rocketbirds is it's soundtrack, which I recommend even standalone. I give Rocketbirds a crispy toast rating. There is still more to do before it can be considered perfect.

I never did learn what PPPP means.
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken can be purchased from the following location:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/215510/

No comments:

Post a Comment